PRAHA Youth Scholarship Program Winner
We would like to congratulate Rhianna Anderson the 2015 PRAHA Youth Scholarship Program winner. Rhianna is seventeen and will start Pierce Community College in Puyallup this September. She will be using her scholarship to help with her tuition and books.
To qualify for this scholarship Rhianna had to answer several questions in essay format and they were sent to and independent party for review.
The questions were---Give an account of your:
AHA and/or local club activities
Volunteer and/or public service
Personal story/personal statements
University, Com. College, Tech or Trade school to be attended.
Here are her answers....
1. My equine involvement currently consists of me working as the intern at Opus Arabians in Graham, WA. The main horse that I ride is a purebred Arabian gelding, Flame Danzr D (JR). This past summer I took him to Youth Nationals and took Top Ten in Sport Horse Under Saddle. JR is eighteen, and he is very stubborn. He refuses to move on a daily basis, and generally makes me earn everything that I get on him.
2. Other than JR, I ride almost every horse in the barn. All this year I have been riding two green broke pure bred Arabians, and one half Arabian. Of the two pure bred 'baby' horses that I had been riding, one is a stallion, and the other one has been recently gelded. The half Arabian is a little mare. I have taken the mare and stallion to almost every show this year, but not the gelding. I won't be able to this year; In recently broke my collar bone in an accident on a horse. It will be three months before I can get back into the saddle.
3. I was the 2014 Region V Youth Secretary as well the current the Region V Youth Secretary. While I was at Youth Nationals I attended both the Youth Board of Directors Meeting, and the Youth Convention. I also helped 'flock' some barns and I was in the Parade of Regions. Flocking was where the AHA Youth put pink yard flamingoes into barns' decorations. A barn would pay to 'flock' another barn, and that barn would have to pay to either keep or get rid of the flamingoes. I am also a member of the Pacific Rim Arabian Horse Association. I volunteered at the PRAHA Sport Horse Show this year, as well as the Cascade Arabian Youth Benefit Show and the Pacific Rim Arabian Fall Classic. I had a lot of fun showing and volunteering at the shows.
4. I have been home schooled for about seven years. I am currently enrolled in Penn Foster online high school. My estimated graduation date is 6/21/15. I hope to attend college in the Fall of 2016. I earn money every month for the extra things that I do. I use this money to pay for my show clothes and help my family pay for my online schooling as well as anything else that I need.
5. I will continue to volunteer as well as to promote the equine mentorship program. I have been riding horses for a little over five years. I started at Opus Arabians, and I've been here the whole time. I think that I have learned a lot with Richard as my mentor.
6. If I receive this scholarship for 2015 I will put it towards my continued education and furthering my equine knowledge as well as contribute back to the equine community.